Friday, February 21, 2020

Most Anticipated Kickstarter Games Being Delivered in 2020

I guess we're already a little bit into 2020 now and so this is a little late in coming, but it seems like everyone is thinking about the top games for this year. There's a giant (and I mean giant) poll you can take on BoardGameGeek for your most anticipated games (I tried filling it in twice and both times got overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices and gave up). To be honest, I've been spending so much time working on my own board game that I haven't spent as much time looking ahead to new games as I usually would at this time. That being said, there are still some games I cannot wait for!

Image result for dinoblivionDinoblivion - this comes to us from the same designer as Goblivion and is a sequel of sorts. It is a 1v1 or solo deckbuilder, but with some newly added elements. I'll be honest, I haven't looked really closely at the differences, but this was an instant back for me. Goblivion was my surprise game of 2019 (it rose to be my second favourite solo game). You can find my full review here and two playthroughs here and here. Jean-Francois, the wonderful mind behind Goblivion Games, is also a stand-up guy. I actually had a video conference call with him last week to get some advice on Kickstarting a game in Canada. He gave me a lot of great ideas and if my game funds later this year, he deserves credit for his insights. This game is due in June and according to Jean-Francois, everything is running smoothly. It'll be here just in time for some summer gaming!
Image result for 5 minute mystery5-Minute Mystery - this game's predecessor, 5-Minute Dungeon, is one of my favourite games for any gaming group. It's cooperative, fast, and stressful! The humour and artwork is on point and the game is easy to learn. Find the full review here. One of the only downsides to that game was that there was no solo mode. Well, that little problem is resolved here in 5-Minute Mystery! This time, instead of just matching cards, there is also a seek-and-find aspect as you look for clues on a variety of cards. Using those clues, you turn a fancy little dial thing and attempt to find the culprit. The theme doesn't grab me quite as much as a fantasy dungeon does, but Wiggles 3D makes great games and I'm excited to see how this one turns out. This one should arrive in September.

A harrowing card game adventure with enemy encounters, interactive story-driven scenarios, and high-end art and design.
Spire's End - this game is actually one that I haven't backed. I kind of ran out of money when this one arrived on Kickstarter and I couldn't justify jumping into it. Fortunately for me, my co-designer and friend Aaron backed this one. Maybe this is a trend, but I actually don't know much about what this game is about either! I know it's a solo/cooperative game, which is always a plus for me. I also know that is is gorgeous. I adore the art style; grey scale with splashes of red. It's breathtaking! I'm glad that Aaron jumped on it even when I didn't so I can admire the game from over his shoulder while he's playing (maybe he'll even let me jump into a cooperative game with him). This one is supposed to be coming down the pipes in July.

There are more games I'm excited for in 2020, some new Kickstarters and some straight to retail releases as well. I'll post about both these categories in the next week or so. Until then, happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment