Thursday, September 12, 2019

New School Year Update

A new school year and I've got 29 eager 9 and 10 year-olds to guide and teach each day. They seem like a pretty nice bunch so far! Right now is the first real break I've had between teaching, planning, and working with my student teacher. I wanted to update you on a few things that I had mentioned during and before the summer.

You know I've been working on my board game? Well, I pitched the game to a board game company and they want to give it a try! my co-designer and I have been working on uploading everything to Tabletop Simulator (let's be honest, it's been all Aaron - I've just playtested it). It's up and working but we're trying to smooth it out a little bit still. Hopefully in the next week or two we'll show them the game. Even if nothing comes from it, we'll get some great feedback from an experienced and successful designer and producer. Very exciting! I'll keep you posted.

I had my first session of Dungeons and Dragons and it was awesome! The group I worked with was a lot of fun. The backstory for me was that one character had hired me as a bodyguard and that's why I was along on this journey. His character was a bard named Felix who dressed quite extravagantly and flamboyantly and had a modified a modern song to sing for every spell he cast and action he took ("U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly!" is something I heard him shout at a ghoul). The rest of the guys and the dungeon master were all great too. The sad news is that they're hoping to meet every other week and between school and family, I just can't make that work. So Thalgot Rockforge walked off into the night, never to be heard from again.

Even though I won't have time for a bi-monthly DnD night, two of my best friends from kindergarten and I are going to tackle Clank! Legacy. I've heard lots of amazing things about it and I think we're going to get together once a month at the most, maybe every other month. Hopefully that'll keep it new and exciting each game but not allow us to forget how to play. Clank! is one of my favourite things so I'm stoked about this.

Unbroken finally came in from Kickstarter and...meh...it's just not for me. I think it was so hyped that I thought I had to have it, even though it's not really my type game. The art is great and the components are really fun to play with, but keeping track of all of those resources just isn't fun for me. I'll play it a few more times and do an official review. It's already up for sale/trade on BGG and Kijiji though, so maybe I won't get a chance!

I think that's about it for now. Life continues to be busy (does it ever slow down?) but I'll play games and post when I cant.

No comments:

Post a Comment