Friday, December 22, 2017

What the Clank!?

I think that the Clank! games should come with an buzzer that goes off every time someone says the word (Clank!).  Whoever says it the most gets bonus points (or points taken away).

Logan and I had both recently received copies of Clank! games (I got the original and he got the In! Space! version).  I've played about five games solo of mine already, it's the first game to chase Gloomhaven off the table (although it did come back for one scenario with a friend on Monday night).  Logan's played his version solo, but we hadn't tried it with others.  Well, last night was the night!

First up: In! Space!

Both version of Clank! are deckbuilding adventures.  You start out with a pretty pathetic deck of cards and as you play you add new cards to your deck, souping it up.  You are thieves trying to make it out of the space ship or dungeon with the most loot.  As you race around, you make Clank!, sound in other words, that alerts the evil space alien/dragon to your presence.  When you make Clank! you put cubes into a bag that are drawn out when the enemy attacks.  If your cube gets pulled, you take damage.  If a enemy cube gets pulled out you're safe, but it doesn't go back in the bag.  That means there's more chance you'll get attacked next time.  As you steal artifacts and make the boss mad, more cubes are drawn.

What do your cards do?  That's a great question.  There are four main "currencies" in this game that your cards get you: attack (to battle baddies and move through enemy territory), movement (to move around the board), skill (to buy new cards), and gold (to buy special items).  Cards can also have special actions that allow you to reduce or increase Clank!, draw more cards, teleport you around the board, and so on.  As you roam the board you'll find major and minor secrets that might give you extra movement, attack, skill, gold, cards, healing, and more!

I've only played Clank! In! Space! one time, but it and the original are very similar.  If you can play one, you can play the other!  In! Space! has you running around a space ship and has a few different sci-fi ways to travel around the board.  Different cards come from different factions and can synergize with each other to give you more bonuses.

Even though this was my first time playing this iteration, I still managed to take Logan down (a rare occurrence that I like to celebrate).  All my practice playing the original game solo paid off!

Secondly: Clank!

Yes I know this picture is upside down, this just my view.  Could I have rotated the picture?  Yes, I could have.  But I didn't.  You'll just have to buy the game yourself to know what it looks like right side up.

This was not my highest scoring game (59 points when my best is 109 playing solo), but it didn't matter because Logan was eaten by the dragon while in the depths of the cavern.  If he had managed to make it above ground, the villagers would have rescued him and he would've made it out with his loot still.  But alas, no such luck for Logan.

I am worried to play Logan again next time, because he'll be looking for payback. That's why it's so great the Renegade games has an app that allows you to play all of their versions of Clank! solo!  Now I can hide from Logan in my basement!

No comments:

Post a Comment