Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Wishlist

With Christmas quickly approaching, I thought I would share my wishlist with you.  These are the games that I ran out of money to buy myself and hopefully I can get them sometime in 2018, whether as a gift or a purchase!

HOTSHOTS

I've posted about this one before (read it here) because Logan and I have played it a few times.  He also did a few review of it which you can find on here or also on BoardGameGeek.com.  I'm always partial to cooperative games because they tend to be solo-able and that's how I play most of my games.  I've only played this game multiplayer thus far, and have loved it.




VENGEANCE

This one was on Kickstarter last year and I believe is just getting out to backers now and hopefully into retail shortly after that.  Think of the game as Kill Bill the board game.  You have been wronged by some bad people and you are out for, you guessed it, vengeance.  You take on wounds from various villainous people in the form of a card draft.  Then, you build up your skills and abilities so that you can venture into different enemy lairs (kind of like mini dungeon crawls) and beat the snot out of them.  The more revenge you get on those who hurt you, the more vengeance points (VP) you get and that's what wins you the game.  I haven't heard must buzz about this game, but the concept looks really neat.

SPIRIT ISLAND

This game has been blowing up on the BoardGameGeek.com forums, particularly on the solo guild (which I frequent).  I've managed to play this twice at my local board game cafe and it was a blast!  I've also written about it before (read it here) and I am really excited for this game.  I THINK I might have tracked down a copy online which is a miracle right now! 

MOLE RATS IN SPACE

My kids might be a little young for this game still (4 and almost 2), but I'm really excited to play this one!  Lots of family friendly and kid friendly games have zero decisions to make (i.e. Chutes and Ladders), but this game is created by a cooperative board game master: Matt Leacock.  Does that sound familiar?  Oh yeah, he worked on a little game called Pandemic.  Ever heard of it?  Anyway, he bring his talents to this family cooperative game about being mole rats trying to survive in space while being attacked by snakes.  Not sure I love the theme, but the concept and the designer credentials make me keen on this one.





BLACK ORCHESTRA

I have a fear that this game will either be too Euro-y or just too hard for me, but I have to admit, the thought of conspiring to assassinate Hitler is very enticing.  Never a fan of history growing up, I've fallen in love with it as a teacher.  It's amazing to see how game designers can weave history and fiction together into an entertaining and involving board game.  Who wouldn't want a chance to take down one of the greatest evils of our time?  At the same time, maybe this is too idealistic of a view, but games that remind us about the mistakes of our past (i.e. Nazism) can hopefully keep us from making them again.

These are the top five games that I'm wishing for this Christmas.  There are a few others on my list that I'd be happy to receive, but these are the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment