Thursday, May 7, 2020

So Many Secrets (Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated)

I'm sure I've said this before, but this is a very difficult game to write about without giving away any spoilers. Especially because different people have different ideas about what spoilers are. It's my duty, self-appointed, to find a way to do it. Since I posted last, we've played two more games, both different takes on social-distancing.

For the first of the two games, we did the video chat again. Google is constantly changing and updating their systems to support people during this pandemic, especially for educators. On this night, though, it bit us in the butt because we couldn't get all of us into a Google Meet together with my school account. Luckily, Brennan's wife also has a g-suite account and so we were able to get in there. This time I rigged things up a little bit differently. I set up on the floor so that I could roll my overhead camera more easily and keep my phone plugged in so it wouldn't die. It was also great for the back. Things went pretty smoothly and our game only took four hours, as opposed to the five hours of our first game!
clank legacy acquisitions incorporated social distancing
The overhead camera set up.
clank legacy acquisitions incorporated social distancing
Here are the remains of our game night. I don't think you can see any spoilers.

Thankfully, by the time our second of these games came along it was nice enough outside that Brennan and Stirling could just sit on the deck six feet apart. I opened up the patio door and they peaked through at the board set up on the floor (again, amazing for the back). While I still had to move all the pieces myself, at least things went quicker and more smoothly and they could read some parts of the story if I held it up to the window. This one took us about three and a half hours I think?

Alright, so another two games in the bag and what have we learned?

(1) So many secrets! I have to keep so many secrets from you because there are so many secrets in this game! This game is full of so much legacy goodness. There had better be a sequel to this, because I cannot wait to play through something like this again. The story branches and the character choices are engaging and fun. It's so hard not to say more than that, but I'm trying my best not to!

(2) Being the first one out rarely helps. I don't know why I still try this strategy, because I've already learned that it doesn't help! Once we accomplished the main things we wanted to accomplish in our second game, I booked it for the exit, mostly hoping that Brennan would die in the process (if Stirling died too, that was a sacrifice I was willing to make). I made it, but I didn't gather enough points to compete with the big boys. Which means...

(3) Brennan won again. Actually, he won again again. He won both games. So, he is annihilating Stirling and I. My only hope at the end of this campaign is that something else counts towards our total score (there are a few things that seem like they could turn out to be surprise point getters). 

(4) Even though this is still a competitive game, there is room for some cooperation. Much more than the regular base game. In fact, we've found ourselves cooperating more in the last few games so we can accomplish all the big, cool, story things we want. Then we mad dash for the exit and try to kill each other.

In spite of the fact that I still suck at this game, I'm loving it. This is by far the best legacy experience I've been a part of. Now, it's only the third legacy game I've played (including Charterstone and Gloomhaven), but the reviews I've read say the same thing. 

Wish me luck for next time - or send me some poison to deal with Brennan.

No comments:

Post a Comment