Tuesday, February 11, 2020

"But It Is Not This Day!" (Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated)

I'm not sure what happened, but somewhere along the line I missed writing about a game. I thought I was 0-3 going into last night's game, but I was actually 0-4. Yay me! I did write about the last game and it was my least favourite one. Not only because I got destroyed (although that didn't help), but also because as a group we couldn't figure out what to focus on and what our goals were. Since that was the case, Brennan raced ahead (as he does no matter what iteration of Clank! we're playing).

Well, we came up with a team strategy for game number five. I'm trying really hard not to give away any spoilers, but game five was VERY different from the first four. That's all I'll say about that. So, in order to fully explore this newness, we decided on the following strategies.

We didn't buy ANY dungeon row cards for the first several turns. We wanted to postpone the dragon attacks for as long as possible, so we spent the first four or five turns only purchasing mercenaries, explores, and the occasional mysterious tome. Of course, clank was added to the clank area, but we kept them out of the dragon bag by not having to refill the dungeon row. After each round we chatted and decided if we wanted to start buying the better cards or not. Once we had gotten deep enough and started off on the goals we wanted to accomplish, we started buying those cards.

Without trying to give anything away, there are reasons to work more cooperatively in the legacy version of Clank! That's all I'll say. At the beginning of the game we had a talk about what things we wanted to accomplish personally and for the group. We plotted out our pathways and got moving.

About 3/4 of the way through the game, we realized that we were not in a good position to make it to the top half of the board. Remember, in Clank!, if you die beneath a certain line, you end up with 0 points. If you can at least make it to the top half of the board you die but keep your points (the villagers drag your near dead body to the nearest town and revive you). Well, for many reasons, we didn't want any of us to end up with 0 points. Brennan was in the toughest spot as he was the deepest on the board and only had about three hits left before he was dead. As much as I wanted to see him get zilch for a score (I'm an awful friend, I know), it wouldn't be best for the adventure as a whole. 

So, we stopped buying dungeon row cards again. Did this make the game more boring? Personally, I didn't think so. Our turns were lightning fast because we didn't have as many complicated cards and we got to zip around the board and do cool stuff. So we paused our purchasing power for a few rounds to get in a better position. Brennan got above the line and gave us the go ahead. He did shortly after - above the line and able to count his points. Stirling and I both made it out with our treasure in hand, although it was a very close call.

Guess who's no longer win-less in Clank! Legacy? Me! I mean me! Yes, I won a game! I won't say exactly what treasure I ended up with (no spoilers - boooooring), but it was enough to give me a 114-87-84 point victory over Brennan and Stirling. If Brennan had made it out we would've had 30 more points, so I'm glad he didn't!  

Yes, fine, I'm especially happy about this game because I won, but we also unlocked a bunch of cool things and all had a great game! I'm not totally selfish... Last night night's fifth game redeemed Clank! Legacy for us after a dismal fourth adventure. We are booked in again for March 9th and I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment