Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Brownies and Blokus (Blokus)

My 6 year old daughter and I were able to sneak away for a little daddy-daughter date on Valentine's Day while my wife took our almost four year old to a party with some friends. We went to a local coffee shop that had some surprisingly amazing brownies.

They also had a bin of board games and puzzles. It was a fairly sad bin with, obviously, many missing pieces, but they did have a (near) complete copy of Blokus. My daughter has a pretty sharp math and spatial brain so I thought we would give it a try.

We started with one colour each to learn the rules. I was very impressed with how quickly she picked it up. 

We moved to two colours each and I continued to be amazed! Her little grade one eyeballs were able to pick up a few spots that I didn't see and she won the first game. 

I was texting my wife pictures throughout the date and she asked if I was so proud. I replied that, in fact, I was not proud, I was furious! We did play a second game that I ended up winning (yay me), but the important thing was that we had a wonderful time together and I was able to introduce her to another game that I love. It made me think, too, how happy I am that we don't really have any video games in the house. Don't get me wrong, they can be a blast, but I'm glad we play table top games so we can look across the table at each other and talk about things as we're playing. 

It was a lovely little date and I look forward to many, many more over the years! Now, I need to go brush up on my Blokus skills so I can win next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment