Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A Midsummer Night's Recap

You might guess that the summer is a great time to get ahead/caught up on gaming and blogging, but it is turning in to quite the opposite. At work, I have a computer in front of me all the time and the government mandates that I get breaks. Breaks, that I can use to type and write (so long as I'm caught up on all my marking). Even though I have all of this spare time in the summer, I'm rarely around a computer and usually playing with/colouring with/feeding/breaking up fights with my two kids. So what, if any, gaming have I been involved in?

Landscaping: The Real Time Dexterity Game has continued to take up most of my free time. I'll be happy when this game is done and then I WILL NEVER PLAY IT AGAIN.


Still haven't managed to play Renegade. Maybe I'm a dummy, but I just can't get started. The rules are tough and there are a lot of words/pieces to remember and manage. Liz at Beyond Solitaire mentioned in a recent blog post (click here for that) that she loved the game but it does have a high entry cost. That's what's keeping me from playing it still. Any suggestions?


Unbroken finally arrived this week. I believe it was due in December or January? I'm kind of a "Kickstart it and leave it" kind of a guy. I don't really follow the comments or threads that much, but I couldn't help keep a little bit of an eye on the controversy surrounding this project. If you wanted to learn more about that, you can check out my thread on BoardGameGeek here. I personally haven't had any negative experiences, I've only interacted with Artem, the creator, and he seems just lovely. I'll keep you posted though as I haven't received any official "asking for more money" emails. 

I've gone through my collection of games and am trying to pare down my collection again. I want to really keep games that I love and play. With so little time to play these days, that means few games. I think 2019/2020 will have a focus on expanding games that I already like rather than buying new games (here's looking at you, Clank! and Journeys in Middle-earth).

So what games/expansions am I really looking forward to in the next year? I won't be able to buy all of these, but they're the ones I've got my eye on.

Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated
Clank! is one of my favourite solo games (top 3 easily) and I'm excited to add more to it. The Upper Management Pack adds new minis and variable starting cards for each character. The whole game is supposed to add a legacy/campaign aspect that looks pretty cool. You organize a company of thieves and track your progress over a campaign? Love it. I don't know much about the Acquisitions Incorporated side of things, but it's supposed to be a pretty fun web show (comic? I can't remember). As long as they nail the solo, this will be a must own.

Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth expansions
I've made my way through one playthrough of the base game. It was good and I'm excited to get more characters and adventures. They recently uploaded a new campaign ($9.99 Canadian through the app). I think I'll play through the base campaign again (and hopefully win this time) and then pick this up.

Sleeping Gods
Ryan Laukat's (Above and Below, Near and Far) new game came live on Kickstarter today. It's a cooperative, open world exploration campaign game with leveling up. Sounds sweet. His artwork and stories are always amazing and I can't wait to see how it plays out in this game.

Those are the big ones. The other games on my wish list are:

Proving Grounds
Clank! Legacy
Clank! Upper Management Pack
Clank! Temple of the Ape Lords
Four Against Darkness
Sleeping Gods
Set A Watch
The Stygian Society
Too Many Bones
Roll Player
Hopplomachus: Origins
Batman: The Animated Series - Gotham City Under Siege
Direwild
My First Castle Panic
Dawnshade
Adventure Tactics
Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay

That's all I've got for today. I'll try and update again before the summer is out!

No comments:

Post a Comment