Monday, April 15, 2019

Birthday Board Bash

My 33rd birthday is right around the corner (April 18) and so on Saturday night I had a few of my closest friends over to play some games. I'll start off by apologizing for not taking any pictures. I was enjoying the quality time with friends too much to stop and snap.

But what luck! Renegade and Call to Adventure, which weren't supposed to arrive until today, got here on Friday! I don't usually like to learn a new game with other people, but I really wanted to get one of these to the table in a multiplayer game.

We were waiting on one friend, so the three of us decided to tackle a dungeon for our first game. A 5 Minute Dungeon, that is. I haven't tried the new Curses! Foiled Again! expansion with three people, so we gave that a try with the second level boss, the Grime Reaper. Three players is the most difficulty becuase you only have 3 decks - with 5 players you have 5, with 4 you have 4, and with 2 people you each take 2 decks, giving you 4 total. But, with 3 players, there are only 3 decks. So by far you have the fewest cards available to you. 

We easily won (we rock). I think we had almost 2 minutes left on the timer. Who should we take on for game 2? Of course, the new boss from the expansion, the level 7 boss, The Final Form. A crazy mixture of all the bossess, this one's dungeon contained 50+ cards. How did we fare? What do you think? We made it through maybe half the deck before all of us ran out of cards. I don't know if mathematically you can defeat the final boss with only 3 decks. Someone should math that out for me.

My fourth and final friend arrived and so we pulled out Call to Adventure. I had watched a few videos and read the rules already so I didn't think it would be too crazy to learn it. If you're looking for a heavy game with a lot of strategy, this is not the game for you. If you're looking for a game with beautiful art, dripping with theme, choice, and story, then Call to Adventure might be something you need to pick up. 

As you encounter different challenges and gain new traits, you gain access to more runes. Instead of rolling dice in this game, you throw runes that give you difference successes (or failures) for your encounters. You choose encounters based on the positive (triumph) and negative (tragedy) victory points they get you. Points also come by acquiring sets of symbols. For example, I didn't want to be evil, but my starting cards gave me a bit of an evil bent/advantages and I picked up a few villainy symbols early on and so i went with those to get a set of four villany symbols (=8 points).

I ended up with the least destiny, however. I was the most evil character, but it didn't translate into enough good deeds or enough hero/antihero cards played. No beginner's or birthday luck here.

To round things out we threw down a game of Kingdomino. This is usually a game that I can (king)dominate, but not today. I just couldn't get the crowns I needed and fell and managed a distant second place.

In spite of all the losing, it was fun to do one of my favourite things with my favourite people. I'm a big extrovert, but I can tend to be too surface-level with people. These three guys are the ones I go deep with and I am so thankful for them. Although, they still should've let me win on my birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment