Friday, April 12, 2019

No-No Solo

Aye yai yai. I had so many plans to play games this week and it just has not turned out! Mounds of marking, fever-ish children, extracurricular excitement, oh my! I've missed writing here so I thought I'd do a little update on what I'm going to be playing, because I do have a few games in the mail or otherwise coming soon.

So, here's what I'm looking forward to playing!

In Mephisto: The Card Game you play as one of the power hungry adventurers who has made a pact with the archdemon Mephistopheles. The deal is simple. Collect the souls of monsters you encounter in the dungeon and receive unholy strength in return. The catch is: You aren't the only contestant seeking his gift, but only one of you will receive it. Be the player with the most souls by the end of the day or be doomed to serve Mephisto for eternity! (from BoardGameGeek)

I really don't know much about how this single deck adventure game works, but I backed the PnP version on Kickstarter earlier this year. The high quality version was just "delivered" and looks really cool. I'm a big fan of the artwork for this one. I got a hack job printed off, sleeved for ease of shuffling, and I'm going to try out the solo rules as soon as I can.
Renegade is an abstract-euro thematic deck-building game for 1 to 5 players. You are a new breed of Decker - a Renegade. You will hack into a network of five servers, operated by one of four Super-Massive-Computers (SMCs). (from BoardGameGeek)

At first glance, this one didn't strike me as a game I would love, even though I (obviously) love deckbuilders. I'm usually a fantasy night and stay prette entrenched there. However, it's been getting a lot of good buzz in the solo community. I've held out for a while, but when I saw an available copy on boardgamebliss.com when I was ordering the next game on this list, I threw this one in the basket too. I'm looking forward to seeing if this one lives up to the hype.

Make your fate! Inspired by character-driven fantasy storytelling, Call to Adventure challenges 2-4 players to create the hero with the greatest destiny by acquiring traits, facing challenges, and overcoming adversaries. (from BoardGameGeek)

I'm currently reading one of the (if not the) greatest fantasy series of all time. Now, I've read a fair few fantasy novels in my day, so that's high praise. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson is the most beautiful and deep world building adventure that I've ever read. I'm enjoying it more than Harry Potter, Mistborn, the Shannara books, all of Drizzt's adventures, and many more books that I've read over the years. If the series ends on a good note, it'll probably even top The Lord of the Rings as my favourite series of all time. Well, when I found out that Call to Adventure was going to have a Stormlight expansion where you could play in that world, I HAD to get it. So, this storytelling, fantasy adventure game is on it's way.

Embark on your own adventures in J.R.R. Tolkien's iconic world with The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth, a fully co-operative, app-supported board game for one to five players! (from BoardGameGeek)

Although I am loving the Stormlight Archive, I cut my teeth on Tolkien's works and they will always hold a special place in my heart. So, when I heard about a Lord of the Rings themed adventure board game coming out, I jumped on. I have this preordered/held at my FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store) and it supposedly released on the 18th - my birthday! I'm hoping to get it shortly after and go tromping through Middle-Earth in search of orcs to smash! I know that Fantasy Flight Games tends to be a money pit, but, in this instance, I'm probably ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment