Monday, January 15, 2018

Too Many Spirits on the Island

So I recently picked up one of my wishlist items, Spirit Island (woohoo!).  I'd only played it cooperatively so far and it had been a little while, so I decided to throw down a multiplayer game to refresh my memory of the rules.  Usually when I play a cooperative game solo, I'll play at least two-handed (e.g. Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Aeon's End).  I thought I would try that here as well, I'm a pretty expert gamer, right?

I decided to use two of the lower complexity spirits: Lightning's Swift Strike (chosen for their attack) and Vital Strength of the Earth (chosen for their defense).  I played on the simplest difficulty with no specific invader or blight cards.  Things seemed to be going pretty well at the start. The invaders were slowly spreading but I had a pretty good control of them still.
But then I realized, about four rounds in, that I had been forgetting to use my spirits' special powers!  Strength gains 3 defend wherever he has two presence and Lightning can speed up his attacks.  Doy!  I decided to soldier on and just start using them from now on.

Usually when I play a game, I don't sit down and play the whole game through.  I leave it set up in my basement and play it in 5-30 minute intervals whenever I get a chance between parenting and husbanding.  Well, that started to take its toll in this game.  I was beginning to lose track of what I had done last and what the invaders were doing.  It wasn't long before the board looked like this.

I decided I would try a game pure solo using on Lightning.  Very soon the board looked like this and I had the cards to finish the last two guys off.  How did this happen?  It's only been a few rounds into the game?  Oh, what's that?  The invaders get the starting move?  Whoops, missed that one.  Reset #3!

Kind of like the story of Goldilocks, this third game felt just right.  I won, but it's because I worked hard on the fear and then got rid of all the invaders towns and cities.

It was still a little bit too easy, but I'm excited to experiment with different spirits and also try the different invaders.  I can't wait to get into my next game because this one is so great.  So many ways to set up, so many ways to win, so many spirits to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment