Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Treasure Hog

Well, I guess I got what I deserved.  

My friends always told me I was a treasure hog (although they may have used a different phrase) and last night it bit me in the butt.

Last night night I had two of my best friends (since kindergarten, actually) come over to try out Gloomhaven with me.  We took on the second scenario, me using a previously created character and they each creating new characters.  It took a good 45 minutes to name the characters, purchase starting equipment, choose life goals, and get everything set up.  But it was worth it.  My friends tag teamed to get the best name award - Stabastian (Stabby for short) loves putting his knives to work.

Things were going really well.  The pace was a little slower as we are all still getting used to our characters and their decks and learning the rules.  But, all in all, we were handling things pretty well.  We cleared out some basic bad guys and quickly encountered a boss character.  His special ability was to open some locked doors and let in more bad guys.  One of these rooms just so happened to have a treasure chest in it as well.  And I wanted it.  Badly.

In order to win, we had to defeat the boss and all revealed enemies.  We had him down to one hit point and could easily have finished him off.  But he hadn't opened the door to the chest yet.  We were getting pretty close to being exhausted, but I convinced the group to let him live a little bit longer.

He jumped to open the last door and then fell down dead from a wound he had received.  Two more enemies fell down dead from self-imposed wounds.  I had four cards left, two enemies, and one treasure chest.  I jumped the enemies and grab the chest.  I won't tell you what's inside, but it was not a bad reward.  

With my remaining two cards, I moved to attack both of the remaining enemies.  A miss!  I flubbed the most important attack of the game!  My compatriots didn't have enough firepower left to take out the creatures, so we lost.  We were so close to having the treasure and the victory.

They blamed me.  And I guess I deserve it.  But now I can replay the scenario on my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment