Wednesday, November 1, 2017

King of Board N Brew

Just a week after our last foray to Board N Brew, we were back!  This time we brought Logan and his wife.  We started with a game of Dream Home (which I forgot to take pictures of...), a card drafting and set collection game where you are trying to make you, well, dream home.  It was fun and had cute art, but probably wasn't my favourite type of game.


Then, we took on Tokyo.  I know that I am way behind, but I have never played King of Tokyo.  I really wanted to try it out because I'm looking for games to use with the grade 4-6 games club that I'm starting at school.  I thought I good dice chucking game was a must.  

King of Tokyo was a very simple and fun way to attack your friends.  Rules are simple, dice are huge and chunky, it was very satisfying.  It was especially satisfying because I won.

Logan had just killed his wife, who was leading the whole game.  Then I knocked him out of Tokyo using a special card and managed to roll three 3s, giving me the 20 victory points I needed to win.  Although, one of the servers/board game experts walked by at that moment and said it wasn't a real win if you didn't kill everyone else.  What a party pooper.  Don't take this away from me!

Then we played a game I never really expected to play: Ice Cool.
Ice Cool is a dexterity game that involves flicking your penguin around an ice-coated school building looking for fish.  To catch a fish, you need to shoot your penguin through a doorway underneath said fish.  One of the penguins is attempting to catch the other penguins while they chase after their snacks.  To catch them, you have to bump into them.  That's it.


Logan catching one of our wives.

Me trying to avoid the catching penguin.


I

got

wrecked.

Apparently I am not very dexterous.  I had a few very great shots (one that involved going through two doors in one flick) but it was not enough to avoid being last place by many points.

Board N Brew is great.  There are a few board game cafes in town, but this one is definitely the nicest looking.  It's bright, has booths, and you feel like you're at a nice cafe/restaurant.  Also, they have lots of great games and their prices for purchasing games is competitive with the online shops.  If you live in Edmonton and haven't been to Board N Brew, you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment