Friday, December 8, 2017

I Can Stop Whenever I Want!

Honestly.  I can stop playing Gloomhaven whenever I want.  Play another solo game?  Sure, of course.  I have lots of great ones in my collection, games I've played dozens of times before Gloomhaven ever showed up on my doorstep.

No really, I can stop.  Anytime.  I just don't want to.

Last night my wife was out decorating cookies with her Bible study group all night and I had the house to myself (well, the kids were sleeping, so just about).  My plan was to wash the dishes, play a half hour of Gloomhaven, have a nice bath, and be in bed by 9.  The kids have not been sleeping well - one's been waking up a few times a night and the other has been waking up around 5:30/6 each morning, so I've been tired.

I was right on track, finishing the dishes by about 7:30pm.  Headed downstairs to continue the scenario I started the day before.  I was sure I wouldn't beat the scenario, but I had still accomplished enough tasks to retire another character, so I was ok with losing and heading back to town to do that.  Well, at around the 8:00pm mark I realized that I had a real chance of getting to the treasure chest AND defeating the scenario.  So, I couldn't just stop, right?

I did go on to win, losing one character to exhaustion (used their last card to loot the treasure chest).  In the aftermath of the victory, here's what happened.

(1) Retired another character.  Their retirement allowed me to open up a new character class and holy cow!  It was not one that I expected and I am excited to add them to my party and see what they can do!  I've been thinking strategy ever since last night because it is a totally different character than any I've played.  

(2) Donated 10 more gold to the sanctuary bringing me to a total of 100 total gold donated.  This allows you to open something.  This something was not so amazing in my books, but still pretty cool and useful.

(3) The treasure chest I opened!  I was hoping for a really cool weapon since it was buried deep within a long and dangerous dungeon.  Well it was not an item - the real treasure was much more mysterious and terrifying and curiosity-inducing!  Instead of answering questions, it makes you ask a whole bunch more!  What will happen next?

I'm sorry if you're bored of Gloomhaven.  I'll try and play something else solo (I really can, I promise) or get a games night going on here soon.  But, if you're bored of Gloomhaven, it's because you need your own copy to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment