Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thank Goodness it's Friday! (Review of Friday: A Solo Adventure)

Total Plays: 50 solo (ha)

In Friday, you take on the role of Friday, trying to help Robinson Crusoe survive on the island.  It is a solo deckbuilder and you start with a deck of really awful cards that you need to replace with new and better ones.  Cards have an attack value that you need to use to overcome the obstacles you'll encounter.  If you defeat a card, you flip it upside down and it becomes a card in your deck, ready to help you with the next encounter.  Once you've gone through the hazard deck three times (each time more difficult than the last), you take on two different pirates.  If you defeat them with your improved deck, you win!

COMPONENTS
I know the art in Friday is not for everyone, but I like it. It's quirky and satirical and makes me laugh. I know not everyone loves the card size as well, but I never sleeve anything so it doesn't bother me much. I like how the cards have a top and bottom that represent different aspects of the game. The cards seem pretty good quality to me. 4/5

RULES
I found the rules pretty easy, although actually figuring out how to win at the game was not. It's not a very complex/big game so it's easy to reference the book to find an answer to a question. 4/5


GAMEPLAY
Ok, so 3 of my first 5 games have been deckbuilders. So what? I really enjoy the mechanic! I love how quick this game plays. I can easily get through a game in 20-30 minutes if I'm really focused. Gameplay is easy to pick up and there are some important decisions to make and strategies to use. Are you more of a card destroyer? Or an exchanger? A healer? A balance of all? There are some (slightly) different ways to play the game. 4/5

REPLAYABILITY
Even though I feel like I can play this game fairly regularly, it does seem to wear on you. Once you figure out a strategy, you basically play it each time and hope you get the card draws you need. There is some variability in the pirates you face at the end of the game, but you see the same hazards deck over and over again. 3/5

FUN
I just find this game so fun. It doesn't feel as tense to me as Baseball Highlights, but I just have fun playing it! It's funny, I like to think of Crusoe as being stupid and weak and scared. For some reason I can just play it a lot! It's different from most of my fantasy/sci fi games and I like that. 9/10

TOTAL SCORE - 25/30


This is my go to quick game.  It's a lot of fun and there's lots of room to tell a story through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment