Sunday, April 5, 2020

Kickstarter Update

We're now three months into 2020 and what a year it has been. I wanted to do a little update about my Kickstarter activity thus far as it relates to my most anticipated games.

The Heroes of Tenefyr Kickstarter has come and gone and they have fully funded. I really enjoyed the print'n'play version I made of this from the last Kickstarter and was excited to get my hands on the full version and the expansion. I would love to have a published copy of this game, but I just can't justify the shipping costs, so I went in for the full PnP copy. I'm glad they were funded again and I'm excited for more adventures in Tenefyr!
This is a game I had no idea about until I saw it pop up on Kickstarter. I've been keeping a closer eye on Kickstarter games as I prepare for my own launch later this year. At first, I just pledged a dollar so I could keep tabs on the project. Along the way, though, the project really intrigued me and so I jumped in and backed it for real! 

To be honest, I don't really know what this one is about. I know that it's a storytelling sci-fi game for 1-6 players, but that's about it. It seems like you play cards into the story arc and try to watch out for attacks. The whole idea about being the red suits, the guys who usually die in Star Trek and other space shows, is very intriguing today. My nerdiness tends to trend towards fantasy and I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge about sci-fi shows, but the humour and art in this one really appeals to me.

I've actually gone back and forth between backing a physical copy and just the PnP. The shipping isn't bad with this one, but I think I'll probably land on just the PnP. There is only so much money to go around. I'm really happy for the creators that they've had such a successful campaign and I hope it leads into more projects like this. Maybe we'll get a fantasy re-skin of this game in the future?

Frosthaven | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

No, I won't be backing Frosthaven - at least not fully. I am going to throw some money their way because I think they're amazing. I've only completed 14 out of over 100+ scenarios from Gloomhaven (including the solo scenarios), so I have a lot of game there to finish. That should only take me about ten more years. The game looks absolutely spectacular though - Childres and his team just seem to get better with each game and each idea. I'd wish them all the best but at 45,000+ backers and $9,000,000+ on day six, I think they'll be fine.

There you have. It's been a crazy first three months of 2020, but it hasn't seemed to slow down the hype and excitement surrounding board games. They're still being released - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Sometimes it's fun just to look and find all of the ridiculously awful Kickstarters. It's great for learning how (not) to launch my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment