Monday, March 9, 2020

Dial 3-1-1 for a Ridiculous Score (Clank! Expeditions:Temple of the Ape Lord)

I received the Temple of the Ape Lord expansion for Christmas, but this weekend was the first chance I had to play it. In fact, I think this is my first solo game of 2020...yikes...

Anyway, this expansion is not officially covered in the app yet, and I could tell that it, at least the jungle side, was not balanced for solo play.

clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game

clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game

Here I am about halfway through the game, contemplating heading for the exit but actually feeling pretty good. I managed to find a secret and a card that let me scrap cards in my discard area and so got rid of both of my stumbles early on. I haven't been making much clank, but I do need to watch out for the building threat (the red cubes, added by the app). I ended up hanging for a lot longer and amassed quite the treasure horde.

clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game app

311 points - an insane amount, probably just about doubling my record solo score from before. You'll notice 160 for tokens - that's because this expansion has some new tokens that you can gather. You get a certain number of points based on how many of those tokens you have. Well, since I was the only one collecting them, I ended up with almost the maximum amount for each of the three types (banana, wrench, and gear), giving me about 100 points. This is why I say it's not properly balanced with the app. Right now the app officially supports the base game and underwater and mummy expansions, and I hope they add more modes for the expedition expansions as well. Even without those bonus 100-ish points, I still would have had a good score because I managed to ditch those stumbles early on and run through most of the dungeon clank-free.

Does the score really matter? No, not really. The most fun part for me is buying buying BUYING! I love this game solo because there are just so many awesome, powerful, unique cards that you can buy! I had one that let me ignore icons in tunnels - another reason I was able to zip around so much and get such cool stuff.

The second side of the new board, the temple side, has a cool new mechanic where certain tunnels rotate. You can rotate them yourself or they get rotated whenever the rage level increases. This might change the direction of a tunnel, cutting off access to a room you want, or adding enemies or more footprints to a tunnel. I hope the app adds in something that rotates these tunnels more for solo play, because they didn't really come into effect that much. It would be a lot more fun with four thieves running rampant, all turning tunnels around on each other so no one can get out alive! 

clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game
clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game
clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game
clank expeditions temple of the ape lord board game app

I did get out alive again, although not with such a crazy score. I headed out a little quicker this time because I had a gem that was worth 10 if I escaped alive but 0 if I did not. This score was much more realistic for a solo game.

I don't care what anyone else says: I have the most fun playing this game solo. You run around a board trying to avoid a dragon, all the while purchasing fun and creative and powerful cards. This is still my number one solo game and adding more cards and more boards only makes it more so!

No comments:

Post a Comment