Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Hotness

I'm not great at keeping up with the newest and hottest and most anticipated games. Mostly because I don't have the money to buy that many games! Most of my games have been purchased after purging older ones and right now I'm pretty purged out. That being said, there are a few games coming out in 2019 that I am aware of and very excited about!

The best thing about this game is that It's already paid for. It was a Kickstarter last year and should be delivered in April. Unbroken is a solo-only game of revenge and retribution. You play a hero who has been attacked and left for dead. Your companions are all gone. Now you need to seek revenge and escape the depths you were left to die in. You sneak around collecting "resources" that are your skills and abilities. You need to use these to best the monsters that stand between you and freedom. 

I've watched a few videos and I'm not exactly sure how this game is going to play out, but I've heard only amazing things so far from those who have played the PnP or pretested the game. Heck, it even made the 2018 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games list and it's not even released yet (it was #99). Really looking forward to this one.

Right after I told my wife that I wasn't going to be buying any more games this year, the game that (I think) I've been waiting for was announced! The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth is a new Fantasy Flight Game that we really know nothing about yet. It's some sort of campaign adventure. There will be a companion app that controls the enemies (making it fully cooperative) and 1-5 get to team up against the forces of evil. There seem to be two boards - a world map type of board and a zoomed in, combat board where the battles take place. There are some pictures of some really great looking miniatures as well. 

I know that licenced games aren't always great, but I'm a Tolkien-aholic. I just can't get enough. One of my favourite websites to peruse is theonering.net that specializes in Lord of the Rings and Hobbit rumors and information. I skipped school (for the first time) in grade ten to go and see The Fellowship of the Ring on opening day. I've read the Simarillion. Twice! Take all of that and add it to the fact that FFG continually makes solid games and I'm tickled pink for this one. The pictures show that they're borrowing art from The Lord of the Rings: LCG which some have complained about, but, hey, I LOVE that art and did not like that game, so I'm glad I'll be able to experience it here. Companion apps always give me a little bit of pause because I want to play a board game, not a video game. That's the main reason why I didn't like Chronicles of Crime - I felt like I was playing an iOS game that just happened to have some cards involved. But if they can integregate it like Clank! or other FFG games, it'll be fine.

These are the games I'm eagerly and not so patiently waiting for. I'm trying to find some ways to scrape some money together for Lord of the Rings, but maybe I won't be able to buy it right away and I'll read the early reviews and see if it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment