Monday, October 23, 2017

Pursuing Happiness (The Pursuit of Happiness)

Had an awesome double date with my brother and his wife on Friday night.  First we went to a new place in town, Town Square Brewery.  I drank the most beer I've ever drank in my entire life - five sips!  I'm not much of a alcohol drinker (the smell makes me want to vomit) but it's okay, because they had homemade root beer.

And

it

was

amazing!

I can't go back to A&W after this.  I've never liked root beer before.  Now I'm hooked.  I think technically it was root beer tea, but whatever it was, it was good.

We had the "Baba Approved" pizza which was kind of like a deconstructed perogy.  Delicious.  We also got something disturbingly name the "Dill Hole" which was basically a dill-flavoured pretzel with dill dipping sauce.  It tasted much better than the image it produced in my head. 

From there we headed downtown to begin the real purpose of the night: trying out The Pursuit of Happiness.  I've wanted to add a "life" game to my collection and this one has been on my radar for a while.  I discovered that the newly opened Board N Brew Cafe had a copy and that's when we booked this double date.

The Pursuit of Happiness is a worker placement game (how very Euro of me...) where your workers are "time"; how much time you spend on different jobs, projects, relationships, items, and activities.  You are trying to earn the most long term happiness (i.e. victory points) without getting too stressed and dying early (unless that's your life goal).


Here are my active projects near the end of the game.  I had just finished making my video game and was working on my board game while also building up my board game collection.  I pursued these activities after putting in long hours as a rocket scientist at the rocket factory


It took us a solid hour to get into the game (there are a lot of rules and even though I had watched a few how-to videos, it's pretty complex) but then we all started to get the hang of it and the fun level picked up.  That's when we had to leave as it was getting pretty late for our babysitters.

But, I really enjoyed the game!  I'm excited to get my hands on it again soon.  I think Logan and I and our wives are going again this week!  I'll let you know how it goes!
That's my beautiful wife (and Logan's sister) on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment