Wednesday, October 18, 2017

"Hi, I'm Theo, and I play board games alone."

As a mainly solo board gamer, I feel quite misunderstood.  When I tell someone that I play board games by myself, they can't hide the surprised look on their face fast enough.  Okay, surprised with a hint of disgust and pity.  It's a strange look.  


But, who cares what they think, right?  Board games have replaced video games for me as my hobby and I love it (although I have been loving my new SNES Classic).  Lately I've been going through all of my solo games, one-by-one, and doing playthroughs and reviews of them.  The main reason for this was to stop me from buying any new games (BUY ALL THE THINGS) and appreciate what I already have.  This has been a great experience!  Some of those posts are here and some are on boardgamegeek.com, although I'm transferring them here as posts.



Last night I took a look at my games and realized that I've managed to get a good chunk of games played!


Here are all the soloable games I currently own (and yes, there are still a bunch of random pieces on my game table from taking the background picture for this blog).  The left pile are the games that I've already played through.  To the right are those that I need to do yet.  As I'm playing through them, I'm ranking them as well (getting ready for the people's choice awards on boardgamegeek.com!)  


I do really enjoy playing games with others, but being a teacher and having two kids under five, it's hard to get a game group going consistently.  Anyway, I'm not really sure where to land this blog, I just wanted to post a picture of my games and talk about my feelings.  Sort of like AA for solo board gamers ("Hi, I'm Theo, and I play board games alone.").



Do you ever play solo games?  What are your favourite ones?  I'm always looking for new suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment