Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Formal Introduction

  Hello internet! My name is Logan, and I am very excited to be starting this new adventure with my brother in-law, Theo. First off I want to clarify something before we start getting questions on this. Yes, I look young, but I assure you I am probably a solid decade older than what you're thinking (Thanks genes). Now that, that has been addressed, onwards!

  I remember very early on in my childhood playing games such as Monopoly, Don't wake daddy (which is when I first experienced heart palpitations), and Mouse Traps... which mostly devolved into us kids playing with the cool plastic components (I still don't know how to play the game). Generally, as a family, our time spent around a board game would turn into an argument between our parents or my siblings, which in the case of Monopoly is just a part of the experience, but for us this was every game. Except one, PAYDAY!
  Yes, this was perhaps the only game I have fond memories of playing with my family growing up. This simple roll and move game not only created great memories, but also taught us children the importance of spending our money wisely... No not really, it was mostly just good memories. At some point in time, we put the game away for the last time and it's whereabouts is a mystery only Sherlock Holmes himself could solve. 

  Although the good memories of PAYDAY remained, it was not enough to salvage the potential hobby from flourishing in my youth. In fact I actively avoided board games for the next decade or so. It wasn't until I started dating a girl in my mid-twenties, that I played a 'modern' game. I remember the experience vividly. We had just started dating, and I was still getting to know her family. The suggestion was made to play a 'board game'. Which translated meant, 'you wana fight?'. The internal recoil that preceded lodged firmly in my throat. 'Sure', I said. My girlfriend walked down the hallway and opened the closet door, which was filled with horrors from my wildest dreams. Board games... dozens and dozens of board games! She took a moment to ponder the flavour of my impending torture, and grabbed a small box. So small, and innocent, but I was not going to be played the fool, I knew what lurked within. 

  Citadels, by Fantasy Flight Games, was the name of my jailor, for the evening. The rules were explained, and the first move was made. Then another. And another. And then something happened... My sweet-hearted girlfriend turned into something from beyond the abyss. A poker faced sweet talking, back stabbing creature. The game concluded in my defeat, and was placed back into the closet of horror. My girlfriend returned to her normal, kind spirited self, and I realized something. I enjoyed myself. A lot. The next day I was thinking about the game we played, the laughter with her family, and memories made. Even through the intense moments, there was a pure sense of enjoyment. We were all, actively engaging in something, not passive, but intentional, pure, interaction. It was at that time I opened my computer, typed in youtube 'board games' and found The Dice Tower and a reviewer named Tom Vassel. 


  It's been over five years since that day and as you can see, things have changed a bit. My girlfriend, is now my beautiful wife, and is a preschool teacher. I am a  first responder, in the city I grew up in. We enjoy board games with friends, each other, and family (on both sides), on a regular basis.

  Many view board games as a simple means of entertainment, and they are valid to do so. However, for me, board games are so much more. Board games represent intentional focused interaction, in an age that is filled with distractions. It represents community, joyful memories, and momentary pause in an otherwise busy world. It is my hope, that by writing reviews, thoughts, and our gaming experiences on this blog, Theo and I can help bring the joy we have found in board games, into other peoples lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment